Marathon Quilter, that’s me! (Friday Foto Fun #14)
I survived the marathon, but I didn't escape the germs of Disneyworld and have been sick ever since I returned home! So my Friday Foto Fun share this week is going to be my amazingly awesome Marathon medal!
Last Sunday, I became a Marathoner. It wasn't pretty, but I completed 26.2 miles at the 25th Anniversary of the Walt Disney World Marathon. I even saw Becca from Pretty Piney supporting all the racers around mile 25! I have to admit that I basically did not train for this marathon due to a torn ligament in my toe this past summer that has taken forever to heal. I even came to the conclusion in October that I was probably done running for good due to all the injuries I have gotten the last few years. RunDisney has a 16 minute mile pace requirement from the last person who starts, so starting in an earlier corral is helpful (especially for me since I didn't train). When bib and corral assignments came out in December, I did the math on approximately what time I would need to get to finish before the time limit. I made a (stupid) decision to try to complete the marathon. I want to give a major shout out to my sister who ran with me.
This was her second marathon, she ran the Seattle marathon a few weeks ago and was nursing an injury of her own. We ended up walking the last 10 miles because the blisters on both of my feet hurt so bad, and we knew we would still finish within the time limit. There were definitely parts around mile 19-23 or so that I wondered to myself "Is it really that awful just to quit?" RunDisney follows the participation medal mentality so I would have still gotten the amazing medal even though I didn't technically earn it. This medal means something much bigger to me than just being able to go 26.2 miles within a specific time limit. This medal reminds me of few things:
- I will always have cheerleaders along my path. My sister, the volunteers at the water stops and medical tents, and the spectators are all metaphoric to the cheerleaders in my life.
- I have a boatload of sheer determination. If I truly want something, nothing within my own control will ever stop me.
- I will always run for really amazing bling.
The chances are I probably will never run another marathon… but ask me again when the 30th Anniversary comes around.
So what does this have to do with quilting and why am I sharing this besides deterring everyone from ever running a marathon?
I will admit to the self doubt I have about making it as a quilting industry professional. Remembering the drive, motivation and sheer determination I possess helps me power through the times of self doubt.
I hope whatever cold I currently have leaves me quickly because I can't wait to get back to sewing!
My available time for quilting this upcoming week:
Saturday, Sunday, Monday PM, Tuesday PM
Projects I want to work on:
Bee Hive Blocks
Goals for the Projects:
Snowman Blocks: Make the 18" and 24" sizes for the Snowman
Bee Hive Blocks: Make both of my quilting bee blocks
Hope you have a productive week!
Your turn! What did you accomplish this week? A block? A quilt top? Link up below!
A few reminders:
- When you link up a post, please try to support the others folks in the linky party! Let's spread the motivation and support to help everyone make progress in their own time.
- Your post does not need to be something quilty you accomplished, but definitely encouraged. Sometimes life just gets in the way, but feel free to share something you are proud of this week.
- In your blog post, please include a link back to my blog or grab the Friday Foto Fun Button and put it on your sidebar. This way others who visit your blog can also join in on the fun!