I Wish You A Merry QAL Block 8!
Block 8 is revealed! Double block release today, check out this post for Block 7! Block 8, "Gift Boxes," is designed by Sola Ajisafe of Alice Samuel’s Quilt Co. This block is definitely an advanced block, but there are instructions on how to make it easier with applique.
If you are not an advanced quilter, you should definitely applique the top ribbon. For advanced quilters, the trick to this block is to make sure all the seams are aligned. I opted to challenge myself and piece the center ribbon. Here are some more clarifications on how to align your seams correctly on the first try!
- For strip piecing, make sure all the seams are pressed to one direction.
- Nest the seams to make the diagonal seam.
- Sew on the diagonal and trim 1/4" away.
- Check the seam nesting for the strip piecing on the side of the box before adding the background.
- Cut 1.25" diagonally away from the diagonal seam line. The 1.25" line is on the seam. See photo for clarification.
- For aligning the pieces, mark 1/4" in from the top strip as shown.
- Repeat to mark 1/4" in from the bottom.
- Now mark 1/4" from the diagonal.
- Repeat the marking for the other strip piece. 1/4" from the top, bottom, and diagonal.
- Match the intersection points and pin to sew together.
- This will make it so the pieces are aligned correctly.
- Trim the top to size per the pattern, then add the corner background piece.
The strip piece on the front of the box needs to be trimmed. Make sure to center the ribbon in the middle before trimming. This will help the ribbon line up with the top of the box. See how the ribbon is 3/4" wide.
Sew the front of the box to the side. Press the seam to the front of the box.
Sew the top and front together to finish off the gift box and make another one!
If you decide to piece the top of the box, good luck!
Don’t forget to submit your completed block on Sola's linky party, the Facebook Group Page, and/or on Instagram with #iwishyouamerryqal to be entered into each block’s prizes! One lucky person will win a pair of scissors from Warm Crochet scissors and a PDF pattern of their choice from Yvonne Fuchs of Quilting Jet Girl.
The prize entry window goes from 12AM Eastern on October 10, 2017 until 11:59PM Eastern on October 23, 2017.
This block also comes with a discount for everyone! Warm Crochet is giving 10% off to QAL Participants using code ChristmasQAL for 10% off.
If you are just now joining us in the QAL, I have a quick links page to catch up on the blocks in this QAL and my associated blog posts. You can also get to that page at any time by clicking the I Wish You a Merry QAL button on the right sidebar.
The sponsors for the grand prize have also been announced. In order to be eligible for the grand prize, you must make a quilt top using all twelve of the QAL blocks by January 16th, 2018. Please note that all patterns are only free until the end of the QAL.
Happy Sewing! I can’t wait to see your blocks!
Be sure to check out all the other hosts!
Abbie @Sparkle On
April @JANDA Bend Quilts
Becca @Pretty Piney
Bobbi @Snowy Days Quilting
Jennifer @Inquiring Quilter
Karen @Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Laura @Slice of Pi Quilts
Sandy @SandyStar Designs
Sherry @Powered by Quilting (This is Me!)
Vanda @Quilt in Piece
Missing tools or notions? Shop my affiliate links:
Pilot FriXion Clicker Retractable Erasable Gel Pens
Fat Quarter Shop - Shop now!
Fabric.com - Shop now!