2018 Creativity Challenge
Happy Halloween! I hope you had some really fun costumes this year! I have never been a big fan of Halloween. Maybe it's due to the lack of creative costumes, but truthfully I'm not really sure why. I saw an image about creativity I liked that I think is very true. It is from the zenchicmoda Instagram page.
A little backstory on my creative life and why I am creating this challenge for myself (and anyone that wants to join me)...When I was younger, I always loved art and said I wanted to be an artist. Flash forward to high school and realizing that my artsy side may not provide me an income, I decided to into engineering. Looking back now, I wonder if that was really just a risk adverse move on my part, not believing I could do it. Being an engineer, I feel my creative muscle has not been used to its full extent in years. The more I designed quilts, the better and faster I seem to get. However, my style was emerging very quickly of what I liked and disliked. I went through this Evolution of Creativity. Thanks to everyvowel.com for the comic because it is spot on.
Earlier this month, I was stuck in the middle part of this evolution where I believed everything I was creating was crap and getting really sad that I wasn't getting enough inspiration etc etc on making quilt designs. Then I found this new book that was released called 365 Days of Art by Lorna Scobie. Not so much quilting related as just inspiration for creative ideas and art.
Here's the challenge:
I want to dedicate 2018 to completing EVERY exercise in this 365 Days of Art book and I will be posting weekly to show the good, bad, and the ugly! Especially embracing the fact that not everything I do will be sunshine and unicorns, sometimes it’s just going to be ugly!
Instructions: Select all code above, copy it and paste it inside your blog post as HTML
How is this going to work?
- Every Sunday in 2018, I will be posting an update. For example on January 7, I will post to share my completed exercises 1-7 in the book. On January 14, I will have a post to share my completed exercises 8-14 and so on and so forth.
- I will have a linky party at the end of each post for you to join in and link up. This linky party will not expire in 2018. This give latecomers to the challenge time to link up.
Do I need to do all the exercises that week to link up?
- No! You can if you’d like, but I ask that you complete at least ONE of the exercises that week to link up. Just make sure you post in the correct linky party corresponding with the exercise you completed! For example, don't link up exercise 239, with first post that is showcasing exercises 1-7.
I don’t have a blog, can I still join the challenge?
- Yes! The linky party will not be requiring blog links. You can upload images from your computer/phone.
What else should I know?
- When you link up a post, please try to support the other folks in the linky party! Let's support everyone in their own creative journey.
- If you are making a blog post, please include a link back to my blog or grab the 365 Days of Art Challenge Button and put it on your sidebar. This way others who visit your blog can also join in on the fun!
- If you are posting to Instagram, use hashtag #365DaysOfArt and #365DaysOfArtPBQchallenge.
Supplies that you'll need for the challenge:
365 Days of Art Book - REQUIRED for the challenge!
Optional Supplies that I personally will be using.
- Prismacolor - Color pencils 24ct
- Prismacolor - Pencil Sharpener
- Pentel Aquash Brushes
- Prima Watercolors - The Classics
- Prima Watercolors - Tropicals
- Prismacolor Brush Pens
I hope you'll join me in this creativity challenge, or at least snicker at some of my ugly art with me along the way.